Spending some time on a Friday night catching up on my business paperwork and blog posts. I wanted to share with you this Steampunk Globe project that I completed a few days ago. I started with one of those home decor balls (that I found on discount at Tuesday Morning). I then covered it with paper mache to give it some texture and a surface that would hold onto paint and collage material. It worked really well and it was fun to play with paper mache and get all messy. Made me feel like a kid again! lol
When the paper mache had dried, I covered the globe with Decou-page paper (with a map print) and then grundged it up with some black paint. After that it was all about assembling the chicken wire, gears, chain and other steampunky do dads into a flow and pattern that I liked. Prior to adhering all of the steampunk elements, I distressed them with a rust medium. The entire piece was then covered with a matte medium.
The globe is setting in a vintage metal decor piece that I picked at my local vintage thrift store. It was already in a rusted state and worked great as the base for the globe. A lot of the elements used on this project are reuse items like junk jewelry and old locks and keys. I really love to bring elements of old and new into a piece!
- Round ball for base.
- Paper Mache (newsprint dipped in concoction of glue, white acrylic paint, flour and water)
- DecoArt Americana Decou-page Paper – Olde World
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic paint – Lamp (Ebony) Black
- DecoArt Americana DuraClear Matte Varnish
- Gears, Beads, and other steampunk themed elements. (forgot to write down all of the specifics here while I was working on the project – Oops)
- Reuse items: chicken wire, lock, key, and junk jewelry items
- Finnibair Art Extravangance – Rust Effect Paste
- Prima, Finnibair Art Extravangance – Rust Effect Paste
- DecoArt products
- Clever Octopus: Reuse Craft Items
- Needful things: Vintage and thrift
This project is also being shared on the Creative Artiste Mixed Media blog in participation of their Challenge #37.
Check out their Blog: http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com/
Hope you all have a terrific weekend!
8 thoughts on “Steampunk Globe”
What a fantastic piece of art work, thanks for playing along with us over at http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
FABULOUS! What an amazing transformation! Thank you for your inspiration!
Thank you, Sara! Thrilled that you like this piece!
This is amazing. Such a brilliant idea and wonderful details.
Thank you for joining in with our April challenge “Anything Mixed Media Goes” at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x
Thank you so much! Very happy that you like this project!
It’s a fabulous creation! I love the vintage look and all the details… Thanks for playing along with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media challenge!
I love this! Beautiful and so clever. Thank you for sharing with us at Creative Artiste, Jane (DT) 🙂 x
Thank you, Jane! Very pleased that you like it! 😊