So, I picked up a discounted print (on a 7″ x 9.5″ metal sheet) at my local craft store a few months back. I didn’t like the print but it was only a few cents and I did like the metal sheet that the print was adhered to. It was already set up to hang on the wall and I thought…one day I will have an idea on how to re-purpose this.
Well, yesterday was that day. I wanted to do another steampunky piece (with an old paint brush) and remembered that this find was waiting for me in my stash. I then pulled out Grundgeboard shapes, metal gears, junk jewelry, and recycled hardware findings to use on this design.
I have said it before but it is worth saying again, I really love picking out all of the bits and bobbles to go on these projects. For me, they tell a story and I hope others will also build a story about the piece as they view it. For each person, there is usually a different meaning/take on what the piece represents.
One of my first paint brush pieces was sold to a widow of a painter. The elements on the piece reminded her of the lovely memories she had of her late husband. It was such a honor to sell the canvas to someone who felt such meaning for the piece. It is truly the ultimate compliment that an artist and maker can receive.
- Layer 1: Black Gesso
- Layer 2: Crackle Medium
- Layer 3: Acrylic Paint & sprays
- Layer 4: Stencil with Texture Paste (on metal sheet as well as on the butterfly wings)
- Layer 5: Grundgeboard shapes, old paint brush, lots of bits and bobbles. All treated with White Gesso and adhered to metal sheet
- Layer 6: Acrylic Paint – paint and highlight the bits and bobbles.
- Layer 7: Satin Varnish
- Layer 8: Artist Pitt Pens
- Re-purposed print on 7″ x 9.5″ Metal Sheet
- DecoArt American Decor, Crackle Medium
- DecoArt American Acrylic Paint – Titanium White, Laguna, Purple Rain, Citron Green
- DecoArt Media Shimmer Mister, White
- DecoArt Americana White Gesso
- DecoArt Americana DuraClear Satin Varnish
- Finnabair Art Basics Heavy Gesso, Black
- Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen – White and Cold Grey
- Ranger Texture Paste
- DecoArt Americana Stencil, Doily (on Butterfly wings)
- DecoArt Andy Skinner Mixed Media Stencil
- Tim Holtz Grundgeboard shapes
- Sizzix Die, Gadget Gears #2
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology, Gears
- Solid Oak Inc., Steampunk gears
- Prima, Junkyard Findings
- Recycled Hardware Findings
- Junk Jewelry
- Other misc. embellishments
Hope you all have a great week! I am still wishing, ardently, for spring to finally arrive!